Public Liability Insurance

If you own a shop, pub or office, work in the trades or any other industry that requires you to enter a customer’s premises, then public liability insurance will make sure you are covered in the event of a claim resulting from accidental damage or injury.

Public liability insurance is often sold alongside professional indemnity to protect you if you have visiting suppliers and clients on your own premises, even your home, or if you work/visit clients’ premises. You are liable for any damage or injury to anyone or anything as a result of your being on their premises or their being on yours.

Many policies will have standard restrictions, for example: type of premises worked in (domestic, commercial, shops etc), height restrictions and depth limits for certain trades, hazardous location exclusions (e.g airside) plus many more.

It is important to check all these restrictions to ensure your business is covered and this is something we take pride in doing as standard.

Employers’ liability insurance

Employers’ liability insurance is required by law (there are a few exemptions) and covers you against claims made your employees for injury or illness which happened as a direct result of their working for you.

Many insurers include public and employers’ liability cover into their business insurance policies, but it is important to understand if you have it, if you need it, and what level of cover you have, to make sure you are protected financially in the event of a claim.

We will take the time to read through any existing public and/or employers’ liability insurance policies to ascertain if what you have provides adequate cover for your business. Not all businesses need it; if we discover you don’t, we might even be able to save you money.

Employers’ liability insurance covers you if, for example, an employee is injured falling on a slippery floor on your premises, or by machinery the business owns. Your company will be liable for damages and employers’ liability insurance will cover any compensation and legal costs you may have to pay.

Because it is a legal requirement, you can be fined if you are eligible but do not have employers’ liability insurance; a maximum fine of £2,500 per day for every day you don’t have it.

Employers’ liability insurance is required by law. You will need it if:

1. You deduct National Insurance contributions and Income Tax for your employees at source.
2. You pay them per hour, per day, per week.
3. You supply most of their materials and/or equipment.
4. You require that employee only to deliver the service and they cannot be substituted when they are unable to do the work.
5. Part-time and temporary staff also require employers’ liability insurance

There are some exemptions:

1. A limited company where only 1 person is employed and that person also owns more than 50% of the share capital.
2. A sole trader that is not a limited company, who is the principal of the business.
3. A sole trader or company, that is not a limited company, who has more than one employee, but the employees are close family members.
4. Partnerships where the directors are equal partners and there are no employees.

Most employers’ liability insurance will cover you for up to £10 million, but the minimum cover level is £5 million.

Get in touch

We will ascertain whether you require employers’ liability insurance, determine the level of cover you need and find the right policy for you. We take the time to get to know your business so nothing is overlooked that could save you money or affect your cover.